Saturday, April 21, 2007

Mural Installation at G. Winston Dobbins Park

I woke up this morning feeling nervous and at the same time excited. I went out to my car and was about to get in when I dropped my phone. At the same moment I was told I had a phone call in the house. I went in and it was a friend from Syracuse telling me he was 10 minutes away. The excitement was raised to another level, so I ran out jumped in the care and started to pull out. The next sound I heard was my tire running over my phone. Granted, this was a $400.00 phone that my company gave me, but what a boneheaded move. My excitement was temporarily taken over by anger, but excitement was too powerful. New phone will arrive Tuesday, nuff said.
Having this Saturday come to an end was sad for me. We worked so hard over the past few months for this day. Having the mural put up brought tears to my eyes as I thought of Dad handing Mark a brochure on murals. I then saw Dad's postcard raised onto the abutment and wishing he was here to see it. So as I sit here now I think of all the people who had a hand in this. James, Mark, Seth, Jessica, Colleen, Helen, Sidney, Hailey, Corky, Charlie, Ann, Stuart and many others who did their part in making this a top 10 day in my life. Thank you, Thank you all for your participation, I know Dad would be gleaming.
This is only the beginning !
Noel

3 comments:

Seth C. Burgess said...

Uh oh...Noel you're going to have to get a new phone so that the artists have some music to listen to when working on the next mural!

Videomark said...

"If you paint it they will come"

Videomark said...

I have some sad news to report. Everyone who has worked on the mural for the last 3 months has heard about "Old Gus" the mule. Gus passed away on Sunday, one day after the mural went up. When we started painting the mural James Zeger asked me if I had a photograph of a mule? I told James 'I have the perfect mule his name is Gus". I will get a photo him and bring it back next week. Gus was the first mule painted back in January and has been one of the things that haven't changed on the mural over it's duration. Gus was a mule at Everybody Rides that took developmental disable for therapeutic horseback riding. He was dear to my heart as well as many others who knew him over the last few years. Plans were under way for Gus to come to the dedication of the mural in late May. The last time I went riding with Gus he stopped, half way through his ride and started pounding with his front hoof. I had never seen him do this before perhaps it was his way of saying goodbye.

In 1990 I had the opportunity to video tape Richard Garrity, who wrote a book called Canal Boatman. One of the things that stood out that day was when Richard told the story of when he was five of one of his family mules that wander off the towpath and drowned. I can still remember Richard wiping the tear from his eye as told that story. Today we are all wiping a tear for Gus.